Discussion Board GALS Action
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://gals-action-11th.forumotion.com

Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World Empty Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World

Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:51 pm
Focus Questions: “Chapter 2: Be Too Much”

What does Jones explain about the word “Too”? How does it affect people? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? -  Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

How was Jones Grandmother described as being too much? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

Describe Jone experience as a Nigerian immigrant coming to America - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

What does Jone’s want us to take away from the concept of “Too Much”? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

Jone’s created a list of questions to ask yourself in relation to being “Too Much” out of those questions, what ONE question listed could you ask yourself? And why that question? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

Opinion Based Questions: Your experiences, and thoughts after the reading

What is a circumstance where being “Too Much” is necessary and when would being “Too Much” be inappropriate? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
Jane Swanson

Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World Empty Re: Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World

Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 am
What does Jones explain about the word “Too”? How does it affect people? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
she states that the word too means to be too much of something and that people are uncomfortable about that, so people will try not to be too much of anything

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
Your job is to not stop being the person who you are and want to be
your job is not to mold yourself to other desires

How was Jones Grandmother described as being too much? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
she was too extra, it states that she was the queen mother of team too much international association of extra people

Describe Jone experience as a Nigerian immigrant coming to America - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
she felt she needed to shrink herself because she felt she was too different.

What does Jone’s want us to take away from the concept of “Too Much”? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
that were not too much of anything and not to stifle our too muchness

Jone’s created a list of questions to ask yourself in relation to being “Too Much” out of those questions, what ONE question listed could you ask yourself? And why that question? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
is this hurting someone else, with my autism, it is sometimes hard to know how people are feeling so pausing and taking a closer look to how their feeling might help me know if i might have gone to far

What is a circumstance where being “Too Much” is necessary and when would being “Too Much” be inappropriate? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:
LikeDislike
when something unfair is happening being to loud when speaking up is good, but if your trying to manipulate someone being to emotional is bad
addie f

Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World Empty Re: Week 8: Leadership Vs. the Real World

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:38 pm
What does Jones explain about the word “Too”? How does it affect people? - She says that the word too can represent being over the top or too much of something, this kind of mindset makes people want to stay under the radar and letting things go because they don't want to be "too much". She says in the text, "And when people say we are TOO something, they aren't making a casual observation. They are requesting that we change this thing, that we turn the volume down. Then we feel self-conscious or embarrassed." showing how the word too silences people.

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? - She explains your job as doing what feels right to you, not letting people's words diminish who you are. Not fitting into a box that other people want for you. She says, "If you are too big, then it's a reflection that the place you're in is too small for you. It isn't your job to get smaller to fit there.", proving this point.

How was Jones Grandmother described as being too much? - She says that her grandmother was described as too confident or bossy, but that she never thought to change herself because she wasn't "too big" for anything, she was just herself. The text says, "Everything she did was big, and I don't think it occurred to her to ever shrink herself."

Describe Jone experience as a Nigerian immigrant coming to America - Jones felt like she was too much to fit in so she thought she had to shrink herself. She felt like all parts of her identity would be too much for people to understand so she had to keep it small, her name, her heritage, her boldness. She writes, "and they'd make it heavy on their tongues, like it was a burden. My name felt like it was too much. It was too foreign. It was too Nigerian. It was too strange."

What does Jone’s want us to take away from the concept of “Too Much”? - She wants us to take away that being too much is something other people want us to feel but we don't have to. It's not worth it to make ourselves smaller to benefit other people. The text says, "Do not allow people to stifle your TOO MUCHness." showing that it's your own choice whether you make yourself smaller.

Jone’s created a list of questions to ask yourself in relation to being “Too Much” out of those questions, what ONE question listed could you ask yourself? And why that question? -
One question I could ask myself is 'is this feedback coming from someone who loves and respects me?'. I would ask myself this question because sometimes getting feedback can be hard for me, so remembering that it's usually coming from a place of love is something I can benefit from.

What is a circumstance where being “Too Much” is necessary and when would being “Too Much” be inappropriate? - Being too much to protect yourself or people you love is appropriate, being truly yourself instead of shrinking yourself is usually appropriate. Being too much in order to manipulate or make someone else feel bad is inappropriate, it can be seen as taking advantage of someone. "Does your sensitivity mean you cry anytime you are challenged, therefore using your tears to manipulate others into always giving you your way? There are people who weaponize their tears to avoid accountability. That's not sensitivity but manipulation."

izzijamison

Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:10 pm
Focus Questions: “Chapter 2: Be Too Much”

What does Jones explain about the word “Too”? How does it affect people? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer: in the text she says that being "too much" is something that people want to avoid. almost in a way that people do not want to stick out

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer: in the text she says that "your job" is something that you enjoy and not something that belittles you.

How was Jones Grandmother described as being too much? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer: in the text her grandmother always says she is to much but she never tried to hide it. for her grandmother that was who she was and she didn't want to hide it.

Describe Jone experience as a Nigerian immigrant coming to America - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer: she says that it was hard to fit in and that's why she always tried to not me too much. she felt as though she was a burden to everyone else and she did what she could to keep that part of her hidden or kept away.

What does Jone’s want us to take away from the concept of “Too Much”? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:in the text she says that she does not want us to porously think of ourselves as too much, that is something society thinks is bad which therefor we should feel ba about and apologize for but we shouldn't have to hide it.

Jone’s created a list of questions to ask yourself in relation to being “Too Much” out of those questions, what ONE question listed could you ask yourself? And why that question? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer: one question I could ask myself is 'is this feedback coming from someone who loves and respects me?' I would ask myself this question because I think a lot of what people say is coming from a negative place when in reality I just need to switch my mindset into this is the person trying to help, because I have a hard time accepting help

the only way being too much would be negative is if you are being manipulative
Yassine

Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 am

Jones explains that the word too means that you're being too much of yourself, you’re taking up too much space and that you're being extra.

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? -  Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

Jones explains that your job is to continue being yourself, and be the person you are. What isn't your job is stopping who you are to make people who push their insecurities upon you feel comfortable.

Jones grandmother was described as being too much when she had an incident with her daughter who is Jones mother by pretending to pack her things and leave but she was just being dramatic after their argument. Jones' grandmother also hosted a 7-Day celebration for her 60th birthday and had a thousand people show up and have it on till 6:00 a.m.

Jones' experience as a Nigerian immigrant Coming to America was her moment of being too much in a classroom when she had to stand up and introduce her full name knowing it was too hard to pronounce for the students and teachers, so she used a nickname instead, that she knew wouldn't have given her much trouble. She was also pointed out for her African accent and was called an African booty scratcher.

Jones wants us to take away from the concept of being too much is, if you're too much of something then you are being yourself and is just as normal. But, if you are told you're being too much of something then those people are just insecure and can't voice their too muchness as much as you do.

The one question listed I could ask myself is “Is this thing hurting someone else?” I would ask this question to myself because sometimes I come off as too mean so then I have to think if what I'm saying might hurt somebody's feelings.

Circumstances where being too much is necessary is when you're voicing for someone who is either getting bullied, talked down on or in an environment where a group of people seem to be hostile to vulnerable people. But, circumstances where too much may be inappropriate is when you're being too much in a way that might affect someone, like their feelings perhaps or something important to them..
Velipadilla

Tue May 07, 2024 9:27 pm
Jones explains that the word too means that you're being too much of yourself, you’re taking up too much space

What does Jones explain is “Your Job” and what is NOT “Your Job” in the world? - Provide text evidence from chapter to support answer:

Your job is to not stop being the person who you are and want to be
your job is not to mold yourself to other desires

she was too extra, it states "grandma was always too loud, too opiniated, too much of everything.

she felt she needed to shrink herself because she felt she was too different.and nothing like everyone else

that were not too much of anything

is this hurting someone else, with pass things with my dad and me feeling like my feelings are never valid I often get angry and certain people and situations based off of past trauma ...

Opinion-Based Questions: Your experiences, and thoughts after the reading
LikeDislike
being "toomuch" can be necessary when someone needs to stand out or make a strong impression , it can also be inappropriate in situations where someone is telling you how they feel and you just state the way you feel instead of validating there feelings first and make everything about you.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum