Discussion Board GALS Action
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 2: Intro to Confidence

+7
yannel.monte
yan.eth123
sarajan24
Yassine
Jane Swanson
Admin
11 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
https://gals-action-11th.forumotion.com

Week 2: Intro to Confidence Empty Week 2: Intro to Confidence

Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:34 pm
3 -2 - 1: Week 2:  “A 3-Step Guide to Believing in Yourself” by Sherly Lee Ralph

THREE (3) - Write three Big ideas from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers
TWO (2) - Write two Things you found interesting from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers
ONE (1) - Write one Question you have from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers

Focus Questions: "Self Concept" by  Saul McLeod

In your own words, What are some qualities that make up “Self Image”? - Be specific as possible:

In your own words, What are some qualities that make up “Self Esteem”? - Be specific as possible:

In your own words, What are some qualities that make up “Ideal Self”? - Be specific as possible:
Jane Swanson

Week 2: Intro to Confidence Empty Re: Week 2: Intro to Confidence

Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:27 pm
Jane Swanson, block 3, 1/24/24

act like you believe in yourself, act confidently, Sheryl was believed in herself enough to speak her opinion to a director, this got her a role in a show. acting like you believe in yourself will help your self esteem rise.

see ourselves for who we truly are so we can believe in ourselves, do not let people's insults get to you, Sheryl's mom helped her see who she truly was and that gave her more confidence to ignore the insult from people in her school. if our self image of ourselves is poor then we will have less confidence. in an experiment people where put in a room with either a clean person or a dirty person before an interview, the people with the clean person had a lower self esteem while the people with the dirty person had a higher self esteem. not only should we not care about how others judge us we should be aware of when we judge ourselves, doing so could raise our self esteem.

think about ourselves so we can believe in ourselves, Sheryl was hurt by a comment from a producer but after thinking about it positively she believed in herself more. thinking confidently lead could lead to high self esteem, and you'd believe in yourself more. if you envision your ideal self, it could lead to confidence

the idea of not caring what others think, it's hard to not care what others think of you when you just want to get along with everyone. if someone is judging or is rude to you it's hard to get along with them. your
self image could become worse if you feel like you're judged or if your judging yourself and that would lower your self esteem

having the confidence to go to someone famous and critique their show, also that the director went through with the suggestion. you probably have high self esteem if you could do that because you are confident

how to help others believe in themselves?

self image: what you believe yourself to look like, fat, thin, short, tall. what characteristics you believe you have, intelligent, kind, rude. self image can reflect how confident of yourself you are. social roles, personality traits, existential statements.

self esteem: a high self esteem will have you confident, happy and content, a low self esteem would have you, sad, and angry. you could have confidence in your abilities, you could accept yourself, you'd not care what others think, and you'd be optimistic. if you have low self esteem, you'd lack confidence, desire to be someone else, always worry what others think and be pessimistic

ideal self: the perfect version of you, you could have stigma, feeling that your brought dishonor to yourself,

Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:36 pm
1.my question is what do we do when where having bad days an tired of what where going thru when theirs a lot going on.
2.something interesting i heard is believe in what you see in your selves no matter what if it hurts and giving myself permission to take up space no matter what anybody thought about myself.
3. give myself permission to take up space believing that i belonged and to stay ready so wont have to get ready.
Yassine

Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:33 pm
3 Big Ideas:
- The simple act of thinking is as valuable as believing in yourself as Sheryl Lee framed

- "Honing into your craft", "Taking up space in Hollywood knowing I belonged there" Here Sheryl sums up that, if you are willing to make space in an environment that isn't usually as comfortable as you like, you can create that mindset that you belong there, and no-one can tell you different.

- The Cast Director was meant to break Sheryl Lee's confidence, but she used the act of thinking and used his words to boost herself up.

2 Interests:
- I found it interesting Sheryl was rejected many times, but she never listened or quit!
- I found it interesting how people's words can alter what you think about yourself. People can really make a big difference on how you view yourself.

One question:
How can you always maintain your confidence through hard times?

Focus Questions:
Qualities that make up "Self Image" are social roles which are parts you play in your life, personality traits which are reflections of your behavior, and physical description that describes your physical attributes.

Qualities that make up "Self Esteem" are the different scales you hold your self to, such as low self esteem or high self esteem. Low self esteem is the lack of confidence you have in yourself and having to look like others or worry what others think about you. High self esteem is the ability to walk into a room and not care about the thoughts of others.

Qualities that make up "Ideal Self" are the stigmas we have of our selves, how we'd like to look like, the comparison of ourselves to others, and the extent of living ourselves in others.

sarajan24

Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 pm
Big idea 1- sheryl mentioned that she let what was supposed to "break" her ,"build" her. and i think thats an important stradegy to use in your life because you can either let bad moments ruin you or you can use them as motivation.

Big idea 2-re frame your thinking of your ability in yourself.
if you think you cant, you wont. if you don't believe you're good enough....strong enough...smart enough ect.. that's not believing in your ability to do greater.its not believing in yourself.

BIg idea 3-think about yourself in order to believe in yourself.
do your own thinking dont let what others tell you change your mind. if you believe in something and are passionate enough about it you will begin to think confidently about things not allowing someone elses thinking to change your own.

1st intresting thing- i like how sheryl said to "give yourself permission to take up space" i liked that because its a good reminder that if you really want something youll do whatever it takes to get it and in order to do that you cant stay in your comfort zone and i think a lot of times people are too scared to do things and holding themselves back even tho you have to reach out for what ever it is you want because no one is going to hand it to you .

2nd intresting think-sheryl said to "act like you belive in yourself"a lot of times my confidence is pretty low and i think thats why i struggle doing things to my best ability because im not confident enough, but really i dont have to be.you cant always be super confident in something but as long as you act like you are than that will get you as far as you need to go

1 question-sheryl mention that you need to look in the mirror and love what you see, i know there's some days (were like everyone) she dosent, and i would just want to know what she tells herself on those days inorder to motivate herself.

your self image is kind of like traits that you give yourelf. good or bad they makeup what you believe about yourself its how you see yourself

your self esteem can be high or low and its kind of like your level of confidence and how much you believe in yourself

your ideal self is basically what or who you want to be, its what you believe is the the best version of yourself
yan.eth123

Week 2: Intro to Confidence Empty 321 & focus questions ~ yaneth

Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:19 am
My 3 big ideas:

1. Steps for becoming a better you
⇢ Truly seeing yourself
⇢ Think about yourself in order to believe in yourself
⇢ Act like you believe in yourself

2. T A K E U P S P A C E
Literally just advocating for yourself and make sure you are being heard rather than silenced. her example is being pushed aside and criticized but making it big and winning awards because she advocated for herself.

3. Let the things that are meant to bring you down ???????????????????? ???????????? ????????!
faced many obstacles like very racist school (students & adults), being told she’s pretty and talented but still not good enough, and even more struggles like climate change, pandemic, low self esteem etc.

2 Things I found interesting:

1. Taking up space
we’re told to take up space but we often forget how important that is and I think it can really affect how we do things or how we approach certain situations. I think we need to start learning to put ourselves out there because in this society a simple thing as advocating for yourself or stepping out of your comfort zone is sometimes seen as selfish and unnecessary but if you won’t do it no one else is gonna do it for you.

2. Mirror challenge
⇢ Love
⇢ Believe
⇢ Respect
⇢ Encourage
⇢ Empower
⇢ Kind

If we’re being honest here me personally I forget how important it is to take time to value myself. I think a simple task as practicing self love and acceptance can be brushed away and forgotten but if we do t live ourselves how can we love someone else and accept love from others? You live in your own body no one else will ever live in your body if you don’t love and take care of it who else will?.

1 Question:

When things get rough in life what are ways we can try to maintain our relationship with ourselves and our bodies in a healthy way?

Focus Questions:

1. Self image is the perception you have of yourself. it’s the way you view the way you look, the way you do things, and the way you are

2. Self esteem is how much or how little you value yourself as a person. whether you present yourself as confident or insecure.

3. Ideal self is the way you wish to be whether that be appearance, personality, social role (career), or mindset.
yannel.monte

Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:09 am
Three big ideas from the ted talk: Sherly Lee Ralph said that she doesn't look like her journey. This means that she didn't let her past define who she is.

She won an Emmy Award even though a lot of people treated her badly and din't believe she had potential so she proved everyone wrong.

She embodied the three steps that she was talking about and explained how they helped her. (1. See yourself 2. think about yourself in order to believe in yourself 3. act like you believe in yourself)

Two Things I found interesting: She said an important experience for her was that she was really smart in school and she even got accepted to a private school in the 60's which was extremely racist and got told very mean and racist things from students and adults.

She gave herself permission to take up space and believed that she belonged and then she got a really good role in a series which is what led her to winning an Emmy award.

One question I have: In what way would things have affected her if she didn't believe in herself.

Qualities of self image are: the way you look
your career or who you are socially

Self esteem is the amount that you value yourself, and whether you have a positive out look on yourself or negative.

Ideal self is the way you wish you were appearance, personality, and mentality.
Lilly778225

Week 2: Intro to Confidence Empty 3,2,1 and Focus question

Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 am
3 big idea:
One big idea was how Sheryl Lee got rejected for 10 years and she never even gave up because she was confident enoigh to keep going and she never quit until she finally made it on the Broadway for a musical.
Another big idea was when Sheryl Lee would look in the mirror and she would see herself in the mirror and she also said how she felt alone that she would go home and cry so her mother would take her to the mirror and told her that she was "rubber and they are glue" which meant that anyone who would look at her and say something bad about her it would bounce off and go back to them like karma.
The last big thing was how her dad was trying to see if she could be able to prove to him that she was able to do things.

2 Interest:
Something that interest me is how she followed her dream and kept on going without stopping.
Another thing that interest me is how Sheryl never gave up and countine to keep going even though she got rejected so many times but she kept on going.
1 question:
Why was she able to find her confidence and how was she able to keep her confidence?

Focus questions:
The qulaties of self image is a role that you play in and how you would see yourself.
The qulaties of self esteem is how you would accepting what you would see in yourself because their would be some days where you are positive and when you are negative.
The last qulaties of ideal self is something that you would see and it connects with the experinces you go through or how an experince is different from you.
addie f

Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:07 pm
In the Ted Talk a big idea that was discussed a lot was how much confidence plays into success and how Sheryl Lee was rejected for ten years but the confidence and practices she had kept her going until she made it onto broadway.
Another big idea was how people thought that Sheryl Lee wasn't worthy of her awards and successes but if you are able to have enough self confidence and kind of respect you can prove people wrong.
The last thing was that if you can't always believe in yourself, act like you do. Kind of a fake it till you make it philosophy.

Something that was interesting about this Ted Talk was how much she believed in herself along her journey and just didn't give up, I think that's really cool.
Another thing that was interesting was the space she took up and deserved to get to where she is and how doing so can lead to following and fulfilling dreams, like Sheryl Lee getting an Emmy

How would things have gone for her if she didn't have the confidence to keep going through rejection?
I think things would have gone differently because she wouldn't have made it as far as she did if she just gave up. Success wouldn't have happened if she didn't keep going.

Focal Questions:
1. I think self image is the way you see yourself and the way you perceive how you look  
2. Self esteem is the internal way you feel about yourself
3. Ideal self is the way you want yourself to be and the kind of the things you notice about others that you want about yourself

Last edited by addie f on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Velipadilla

Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:12 am
3 -2 - 1: Week 2: “A 3-Step Guide to Believing in Yourself” by Sherly Lee Ralph

THREE (3) - Write three Big ideas from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers
-1. think about yourself in order to believe and trust in yourself
done let what other think change your beliefs and how you feel on a situation based on what they say
TWO (2) - Write two Things you found interesting from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers
-i found that how she kept pursuing her dreams and never gave up event when things got dificult.
-"mirror challenge," i think its pretty cool cuz it gives you time to think about all the characteristics
ONE (1) - Write one Question you have from the TED talk - use details and specific information from the text to support your answers
why do we sometimes think our reasons arent valid? maybe because we are getting shut out?

Focus Questions: "Self Concept" by Saul McLeod

In your own words, What are some qualities that make up “Self Image”? - Be specific as possible: appearance, abilities, strengths

In your own words, What are some qualities that make up “Self-esteem”? - Be specific as possible: confidence, self-respect,and believe in our worth in a way

In your own words, What are some qualities that makeup an “Ideal Self”? - Be as specific as possible: maybe like our dreams, goal, characteristics
izzijamison

Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:48 pm
Focus Questions: "Self Concept" by Saul McLeod

self image is how you view yourself, wether that is the way you look the way you act Ect.

self esteem is the confidence you give yourself, and how confident you believe you are.

ideal self is the image of yourself that you aspire to be or are reaching to be in the future.

1. would she have the confidence she has now if it weren't for the things she went through?
I think that she had to learn confidence because of everything that people said to her and what she went through but regardless if those never happened I think she would've just had natural confidence with ought having to learn it.

2. something that stood out to me was that she countinued her journey of self love even when things seemed like she could never love herself. and even though out all of her rejection she still showed up and proved to everyone she was worth it, like when she won the Emmy.

3. big ideas that I noticed was that she trusted herself and who she was, what she was capable of. I also noticed she would say, " rubber and they are glue" this was almost like her pep talk, very similar to self affirmations, she strongly believed that rude comments that happened to her would eventually bounce back at other people as karma. another thing that stood out to me was that she took space. I find it inspiring that no matter what she took up the space she knew she deserved

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum